How To Install XXLPQ ICS On Your SGS2 - NOT!

Posted by Ada S. On Friday, March 23, 2012 5 comments


This is a post on why you should not install XXLPQ ICS on your SGS2. Well at least, in my opinion. I encountered several bugs with it and if you read XDA threads I am not alone. In fact, some of us encounter the same problems.


Updated 03/24/2012: Please check this post to access reviews on XXLPQ, DXLP7, and other official Samsung ICS ROMs for SGS2.




Before installing XXLPQ on my SGS2, I did a FULL wipe. That includes
  • Factory reset
  • Wipe cache
  • Wipe dalvik cache
  • Wipe Battery stats
  • Wipe /system
I then flashed XXLPQ on my phone using ODIN. Within a few days of use, I encountered the following bugs:
  • WiFi doesn't turn on sometimes when clicking the shortcut on the notifications drawer
  • Apps crash a lot, even though they're compatible with ICS. It usually happens when I'm "quick" with my hands - I'm really the impatient type so apps crashed on me a lot when clicking stuff "too" quickly.
  • When I press "save page for offline viewing" the browser crashes
  • When an app crashes, the whole screen turns black and pressing the home button won't do anything. Sometimes, this is followed by the Touchwiz Launcher crashing as well.
  • I can't install large apps - Around 25MB and higher. It says I don't have an SD card.
A follower on Twitter told me that I should try formatting my SD card because that helped him get rid of the bugs. But that's a risk I'm not willing to take for now and therefore, can't confirm if it works. I've tried installing other ROMs before (switching between Gingerbread and ICS official and custom ROMs) without formatting the SD card and never encounter these problems.

Right now I'm on DXLP7, another "stable" ICS build for SGS2. Within hours after using it I'm already seeing some bugs as well but it's too early to tell if it's better or worse than XXLPQ. Posts on XDA do suggest that DXLP7 is better than XXLPQ, and that's what I'm trying to find out.

Starting with this post I'm blogging about My Hunt For A Stable Official ICS ROM (SGS2) in the next couple of days. Posts will have different titles but you can follow this tag to quickly access recent posts and updates. For the meantime, all I could say is don't install XXLPQ unless I sort this out.

BTW.


Unlike other websites who teach you to install ROMs without even testing them, you're never going to hear an installation guide on XXLPQ from me or any buggy-as-hell ROM for that matter - especially if it's a "stable" release.

Please read this post to find out more about DXLP7 and don't forget to follow me on Twitter and join my 100 followers :-)

5 comments:

  1. is it possible to go back to gingerbread. I'm facing the same problem as you and also some more... For instance, battery drains very quickly, not full support for flash player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AC! Sorry for the late reply :-) I'm usually free on weekends only. For flash support, you have to install Adobe Player online. And if your battery drains too quickly, try clearing battery stats first via recovery mode.

    But if you really wanna go back to Gingerbread yes. It's possible. It will be same as flashing any ROM via ODIN. You can look for official firmware in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1075278

    Of course, doing so will probably wipe your phone. You should've made a backup before flashing ICS :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant.. install Adobe Flash Player via Google Play :-) Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ada for the help! I appreciate your efforts. I really do wish to go back to gingerbread. I haven't rooted my phone yet so I would have to do that. Apps isn't a big problem, I can re download them and I already backed up my data on kies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @AC: Have you tried UHLPE? It's awesome :-) Haven't found any bugs in it. Force closing is very rare and usually related to the app being incompatible with ICS. If you want to go back to Gingerbread (official), no need to root your phone! Just use ODIN :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something?