Updated 08/16/2012 with new supported devices and reminders.
There are ways you can reset your flash counter to zero and remove the yellow triangle. To reset your flash counter, you need a USB jig and a long process. Removal of the yellow triangle takes long too and on my end, it didn't work at all. Must have done something wrong. Just a few hours ago, I discovered a not-so-new app that allows users to reset their flash counters and remove the yellow triangle in one click.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 **
- Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 **
- Samsung Galaxy Note GT-I9220 **
- Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 **
- Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300T **
- Samsung Galaxy S3 AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile/Verizon/US Cellular/Canada
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 GT-P310x 7" 3G
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 GT-P311x 7" Wi-Fi
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 GT-P510x 10" 3G
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 GT-P511x 10" Wi-Fi
** Some variant models are supported depending on your firmware and kernel. Sometimes, installing a different kernel can make it work.
- Triangle Away can unmount your SD card. Reboot the phone or remount via the Settings.
- On SGS3 i9300, the "system modified" status can only be reset in some firmwares
How To Reset Your Flash Counter & Remove Yellow Triangle (without a USB Jig)Prerequisite: Your phone must have an ICS ROM. If you are running a non-ICS ROM, back it up and install an ICS ROM. Follow the steps below and when you revert to your old ROM, your flash counter should be zero and the yellow triangle is gone.
1) Download Triangle Away by Chainfire.
[MARKET LINK] $2.00
[FREE DOWNLOAD] --- thanks, Chainfire!
2) Go to download mode and check your flash counter.
While on download mode, the following should appear:
PRODUCT NAME: GT-i9100
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: 46
CURRENT BINARY: CUSTOM
Your flash counter is the number beside "CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD". Mine is 46 but yours could be different. Take note of your flash counter.
3) Reboot your phone and see if the yellow triangle appears on boot image.
4) Launch Triangle Away and check your phone's status under Flash Counter > Current status. The details should match everything you checked for from steps 2 and 3. If details match, proceed. If not, DO NOT PROCEED as this would potentially brick your phone.
5) Click Reset flash counter. After a few seconds, the app will prompt a successful flash counter reset.
6) Go to download mode again. Your phone must display the following details:
PRODUCT NAME: GT-i9100
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: NONE
CURRENT BINARY: SAMSUNG OFFICIAL
7) Reboot your phone. No more yellow triangle!
When you revert to a non-ICS ROM, your flash counter and no-more-yellow-triangle status will be retained :-) ENJOY!
Oh, and don't forget to follow me on Twitter @shetalksandroid! We can be a whole community of Android geeks there! :D