Updated 04/01/2012: Updated UHLPE review below.


To avoid confusion, I created this post to individually highlight bugs and advantages of XXLPQ, DXLP7, UHLPE, ZSLPE, and XWLP2 (non-rooted and rooted using CF-Root). All of them are official ICS updates for Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGS2). So far I've only tested two three but I will frequently update this post whenever I try a new one. Keep checking back and follow me on Twitter to get updates when I add something new :-) 


And don't forget to check out all the cool features of the ICS update for SGS2!




REVIEW OF XXLPQ (rooted & non-rooted)
  • Updated 03/30/2012 (ADVANTAGE) According to an anonymous commenter, it does have USB debugging mode
  • Updated 03/30/2012: Wireless tethering has a problem, says an anonymous commenter.
  • WiFi doesn't turn on sometimes when clicking the shortcut on the notifications drawer
  • Apps crash a lot, even though they're compatible with ICS. It usually happens when I'm clicking stuff "too" quickly.
  • When I press "save page for offline viewing" the browser crashes
  • When an app crashes, the whole screen turns black and pressing the home button won't do anything. Sometimes, this is followed by the Touchwiz Launcher crashing as well.
  • I can't install large apps - Around 25MB and higher. It says I don't have an SD card. FIX (left by anonymous commenter): Unmount SD card and install large apps into internal memory.
  • (ROOTED) Google Play Store force closes and won't launch after rooting. FIX: Download and install Google Play Store v3.5.15.
XXLPQ Verdict: Meh. Not worth installing.



REVIEW OF DXLP7 (rooted & non-rooted)
  • (ADVANTAGE)  Screen sensitivity to touch is better with DXLP7 in comparison to XXLPQ. This means that with a little flick of your finger, the screen automatically responds.
  • (ADVANTAGE) No problem installing large apps unlike with XXLPQ.
  • Slow wakeup time after being on standby for minutes to hours. The phone takes 3 seconds to light up after pressing the menu or power button during sleep. FIX: I'm not sure but rooting seemed to fix this.
  • The same "Save page for offline reading" bug in XXLPQ which doesn't let you save web pages for online reading.
  • WiFi doesn't connect sometimes. Fix: While it is turned on (but not connecting), long press the power button and switch to airplane mode. Then, switch it off. The internet should connect right away :-)
  • Update: No USB Debugging mode even when allowed. But you can still access files on your computer using MTP.
  • (ROOTED) Google Play Store force closes and won't launch after rooting. FIX: Download and install Google Play Store v3.5.15.
DXLP7 Verdict: Much better compared to XXLPQ. Definitely worth installing and better if you root it. Check out DXLP7 installation guide | DXLP7 rooting guide


REVIEW OF UHLPE (rooted & non-rooted)
  • (ADVANTAGE) Wakes up fast compared to DXLP7.
  • (ADVANTAGE) Rarely has a problem with connecting to Wi-Fi - compared to XXLPQ and DXLP7. Happened just once to me after 2-3 days of use.
  • (ADVANTAGE) Rare force closes - which is good really if you tried XXLPQ or DXLP7. Happened just twice after several days of use.
  • Save for offline reading bug in the browser still there.
  • No USB debugging mode.
  • No CF Root though you can use XXLPQ proper CF-Root. Didn't cause any problems :-)
UHLPE Verdict: It's a done deal. UHLPE is better than XXLPQ and DXLP7. It still needs some work but if you want something stable, it's a good option. Still going to test some more in the following weeks. I'm still looking for something better.


UHLPE installation guide | UHLPE rooting guide



Reviews for ZSLPE / XWLP2 still to come!
Don't forget to follow me on Twitter for updates @shetalksandroid.


UI changes are similar throughout all ICS updates for SGS2 which is why I will create a separate post for that. Please give me time to compare original Gingerbread firmware to Ice Cream Sandwich :-) It will probably be ready in the following days and will include screenshots.

32 comments:

  1. Another thing on DXLP7 (rooted) ... I can't underclock it :-(. Everytime I use application to underclock it (tried 3 applications so far) all of them made my phone stopped working and need to be hard reset (Volume up+power for 10s)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In DXLP7 you cannot restrict mobile background data per individual application like you can do in XXLPQ. In DXLP7 you can only do it for all applications. This a terrible limitation of DXLP7 and therefore I went back to a XXLPQ ROM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. XXLPQ also has the double sms bug via third party sms apps.
    And I'm having sporadic bluetooth issues. (File transfer fails)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For (XXLPQ):
    You can install large apps directly into internal(phone) memory. For this you need to unmount the SD card and then try installing the large apps.
    Wireless tether seems to have a problem.
    Does have the USB Debugging mode

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ve tried so many custom rom,found that DXLP7 almost perfect with Wanamlite.XWLP2.v9.9,Awsome

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous 1: Maybe you have to flash a custom kernel for both underclocking/overclocking. That should fix it.

    @Anonymous 2 and 3: Thanks for the reports guys! Readers will find your comments useful. I don't think those things are worth switching back to XXLPQ though IMO. Given the force closes I got. But it works for you, I won't argue ;-)

    @Slimspook: Thanks! I read that (messages bug) in XDA threads but never experienced it with me. I guess it's a case-to-case basis. As for Bluetooth, never stayed long enough with the ROM to test it lol. So thank you!

    @SteamBoat: Thanks for that! I haven't tried Wanamlite myself but planning to review it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree here.... LPE seems more stable than all of them... Although I am curious to know... In what order are the latest builds? I'm assumine LPE is the latest?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Anonymous: That I do not know. I've seen a few commenters discuss it but I always believed that latest builds aren't necessarily more stable than older ones. Other bugs may be fixed in later versions but then, other bugs would arise. That's why I'm just randomly testing them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can tell you one massive bug in ZSLPE. wifi doesnt turn on sometimes, it just simply remains in 'wifi is turning on' state until either you restart the phone or it restarts by itself. This problem, coupled with force 2D GPU acceleration feature turned on, will cause touhwiz to crash like crazy (after wifi crashes and the phone restarts automatically or you restart it). I forgot that I had GPU acceleration turned on and just simply went with wiping data/cache. Silly me I shoyuld have at least remembered to switch off GPU acceleration off first. But then again, it was never certain if that would fix the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what about the other ones mentioned here

    http://www.sammobile.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4384

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Lawrence: Thanks for letting me know! A follower on Twitter kept ranting about ZSLPE too and how buggy it is. That's why I'm afraid to try it lol. But still, wanna check them out for myself. Maybe later.

    @josephpires: Hi! I am aware of the new ICS updates for SGS2. But I will not include them here and create a separate post for them. Also, I won't review the new ones unless I'm done with everything in this post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there, just wondering if you will review the newer firmware.. I'd be interested in following that:) -g

    ReplyDelete
  13. So still the official update from Samsung ICS 3.0.4 is not there for China, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still also can not make a Google account. So no Google Play in China. Has anyone a suggestion how to solve this?

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Gerard: Sorry still haven't tested anything newer than DXLP7. I'll try if I can make time this week (: I found a new interest in themed Sammy ROMs.

    @Anonymous: Not in this post, no :)) Not sure if there was an update for China too since I haven't checked the ROMs outside of those mentioned here.

    @Yuehan: That's terrible :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. But if I search on Google then ZSLPE should be a possible update. But on samfirmware it is still not yet announced.
    What is ZSLPE then and where is it coming from?

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Yuehan: You can find ZSLPE here ---

    http://skywanker.net/download/download.aspx?link=GT-9100/Firmwares/Unbranded/Taiwan/GT-I9100_BRI_I9100ZSLPE_I9100OZSLPE_I9100ZSLPE.7z

    :) It is for Taiwan and Hong Kong.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Ada,

    Kindly suggest the latest unbranded ICS firmware for SGS2.. I cant seem to keep track on the latest unbranded firmware..
    Because im running LP7 but it still has the Wifi glitch :S

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  19. @josephpires: I'm afraid all those that I've tried have the same glitch :( I haven't tried the latest updates yet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm still using GingerB with no issues...why don't you people wait for the official release of ICS from your provider and forget all the glitch headaches...relax..breathe.

    on another note..ADA, smart and sexy..nice!

    ciao
    creep

    ReplyDelete
  21. My DXLP7 contact always not responding if I tried to access it using dialer...

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Anonymous or "creep"? Haha. Thank you so much for the compliments lol. Yeah Gingerbread is still the most reliable Android version for SGS2.

    @Anonymous: I wasn't able to check that i=before and unfortunately, I can no longer check it because I deleted by DXLP7 backup a long time ago :( It must be a firmware bug.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't tried all so far, but my experience with xxlpq has been overall amazing.The only drawback is that the wifi keeps disconnecting every now and then and sometimes due to the processors speed decreasing, transition between application pages becomes a bit laggy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Tanak Nandu: Thank you for your input! It will certainly help my readers :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hurray, finally ICS 4.0.4 for China is there.
    But phone is not rooted anymore. So no SU etc.
    Anyone an idea how to root this one:

    kernel 3.0.15-I9100ZCLPL-CL802932 se.infra@sep-117#3
    Buildnumber: IMM76D.ZCLPL
    Basebandversion I9100ZCLPK
    Androidversion 4.0.4

    Looks nice by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Finally, ICS 4.0.4 in China arrived. It looks great. But now my phone is unrooted again. How to root this one??

    phonespecs are:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    kernel 3.0.15-I9100ZCLPL-CL802932 se.infra@sep-117#3
    Buildnumber: IMM76D.ZCLPL
    Basebandversion I9100ZCLPK
    Androidversion 4.0.4

    any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Yuehan: Hey! It's you again :D Hmm. It's not in my list of CF Roots :| I'll try to look for it tonight and leave another comment if there's a link :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Yuehan: Hey, can you try this installation guide? http://www.teamandroid.com/2012/07/09/root-android-404-zclpl-galaxy-s2-i9100-stock-firmware/2/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have a UHLPE how do i go about to root it?

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Anonymous: Please refer to this post http://www.shetalksandroid.com/2012/06/how-to-root-your-sgs2-with-cf-root-ics.html

    :) Root for UHLPE is there.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi guyz i actualy usn gb n thn updated thru ota n gt xxlpn firmware...had issues like wifi nt turnin on...vibration ds nt work..hav to keep restarting phone on random fr vibration to wotk...n thn i flashd to xxlpq..n stil hav the same issues n now apps startn to crash
    h al the tym

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Umar: Try doing a "hard reset" by erasing all data on your phone. Maybe that would fix it. Of course, this will delete everything. So if you can, back-up files before doing this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Looking for something?